What Is Vibrato and how do I develop it?
What is vibrato? Vibrato is the “final stage” of a “release valve” of a well placed, stongly supported note, relaxing and resonating into a state of oscillation
What is vibrato?
Truth be known, vocal science really doesn’t know for certain.
And there is much debate on what its real function is.
From my 30+ years of professional singing I will tell you what I know it is for.
Vibrato “the final resting place” of a strongly supported, well placed whole tone, relaxing into a state of oscillation for a “final release valve” of resonance.
Let’s break this down a phrase at a time:
When we “hold a note” we can hold it with or without vibrato.
When that note has strong diaphragmatic support, the vowel placement is clear and unobstructed (in the throat), we can “relax” the vocal folds (cords) into a state of oscillation and “release” tension from holding the note.
This also bring about a natural increase in volume, without more pressure.
With that said, a debate on whether a note should oscillate above a whole tone or below a whole tone has also come into question.
There is little doubt in my mind that if vibrato is a relaxation response to a well supported, well placed whole tone, that it would naturally oscillate “under” the pitch of the whole tone – not above it.
Also: there are many different types of vibrato in width and speed of oscillation.
Some are fast, some are slow, some are wide and some are narrow. (there are many different names for different types of vibrato such as Natural, Wobble, Tremelo, Gospel Jaw, Goat’s Wiggle etc.)
The only real “healthy” vibrato is a natural vibrato. Others are contrived and don’t serve the purpose of a natural vibrato, though they are acceptable for different styles of singing for a desired effect.
So, you wanna sing?
At Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy you have a many options for singing lessons:
- On DVD/CD combos
- Via digital downloads
- Online singing lessons LIVE via webcam with Ken Tamplin
- Private in-studio singing lessons with Ken Tamplin
The signature vocal course at KTVA is the world famous “How To Sing – Better Than Anyone Else” – it is by far the most powerful, effective and complete vocal course you will ever find.
How To Sing – Better Than Anyone Else, the complete course consists of:
- How To Sing – Better Than Anyone Else, volume 1 DVD + CD
- How To Sing – Better Than Anyone Else, volume 2 DVD + CD
- How To Sing – Better Than Anyone Else, volume 3 DVD + CD
- Building Head Voice – 15 Video Lessons (value $100.00)
- Licks & Tricks Revealed! – 24 Video Lessons (value $199.95)
- The Secrets To Live Singing – Rock – 40 Video Lessons
- The Secrets To Live Singing – Pop and R&B – 28 Video Lessons
- Advanced Vibrato – 7 Video Lessons (value $59.00)
- How To Write A Song! – 13 Video Lessons (value $29.95)
- Guitar Chords! – 5 Video Lessons (value $24.95)
- Karaoke Practice Trax – 12 Three-part trax
- How To Find Your Own Voice – 1 Video Lesson
- How To Overcome Stage Fright – 1 Video Lesson
- How To Record Your Vocals – 5 Video Lessons (value $69.00)
- A Complete List Of Cruise Ship Entertainment Companies With Direct Contact Info ( value $99.95)
- A Complete List Of Band / Music Managers (value $99.95)
- A Copy Of The “Indy Bible” Which Includes A Complete List Of Radio Stations & Magazines That Will Play & Review Your Music! (value $39.95)
- A Complete List Of TV & Film Companies That Can Place Your Music With Direct Contact Info (value $199.95)
- A Complete List Of Music Venues Looking For Talent Now! (value $99.95)
The KTVA singing lessons on DVDs and downloads are the best investment you will ever make into your voice.
The proof is in the singing – check this out:[layerslider id=”5″]
This is the most advanced, powerful and effective singing course anywhere in the world.
It is the only vocal coaching program that shows you step by step, with real demonstrations on how to apply what you are learning to actual singing. Not just singing scales. But REAL singing.
Get the real deal. Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Singing Lessons That Actually Work!